Friday, October 14, 2005

Online Profiles - Identity Theft/hacking?

Time for a real life cybercrime story - that happened to me!

Many moons ago, I played a game called Everquest Online Adventures. I happened back to check up on an old contact I made in the community... imagine my surprise when I find my good name (online anyways) had been dragged through the mud? Someone had compromised either my account or the server and started to abuse my admin powers there. Here's the original announcement:

"All.

I am sorry to have to announce this. However.

Since Kroy left Stonewatchers in my hands, I have endeavoured to keep it running with the minimum of intervention needed on my or the moderators part.

I have banned 2 people and both of those were for frequent misuse and at the behest of yourselves.

Now, I find today that not only does Kroy attempt to sell his accounts on here, which we originally frown upon, but he demotes me to USER level and bans Slam for his right to speak.

I have now demoted Kroy to user and established myself as Admin again. The only issue now is that we may lose the www.stonewatchers.com address, as it is owned and controlled by Kroy still. I am currently investigating whether this was Kroy or whether someone has hacked his account. I hope it wasnt as Kroy was a very nice guy.

To this end, if you still use this forum and know people that do, please add http://mercury.robustserver.com/~xfranc/stonewatchers/eqoa into your browsers."

Kinda spooky having someone tresspass on my account.

The post above is from a successful community set up initially by myself and handed over to Xfranc when I left the game. I guess it could have been worse, but still kinda worrying what people can do when they get hold of your password, even if it is only useful in a small (and old) part of your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home